[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Wed Aug 12 01:35:55 UTC 2009

> I'd settle for a "social contract" - I think "civility" is too
> loaded a term in Wikipedia after all the past.

I agree.

> If we were going to design such a page, I'd start with the communal
> need to work together and (given the diversity of users) the need to
> actively avoid where possible distraction into disputes, and
> personal squabbles. I'd then add the following as principles
> (rewording needed to avoid obvious issues):

I'd also point out that everybody has at least two commonalities:
1. We're all human. Yes, we have bot accounts, but if the bot isn't up
to Wikipedia's standards, it's the *owner* who's responsible.
2. We all have the right to have everyone assume that we are here to
build an encyclopedia, NOT to do anything else. This can be phrased as
"We are here to build an enclycopedia until proven otherwise.", and
probably belongs as a principle.