[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Emily Monroe bluecaliocean at me.com
Wed Aug 12 00:51:17 UTC 2009

> It is also human nature that everyone, at one time or another, feels
> the need to speak frankly and forcefully. If that is met by hurt
> cries of "you are being incivil", that is a detriment to open
> discourse.

Well, then there's the issue of differing cultures and
neuroatypicalities (such as people on the autistic spectrum), where
some people actually don't know how to be polite in some environments.
How do we deal with somebody from a different country? What about
somebody who we suspect has, or claims to have, a neurological
disability that affects how xy interact with others?* These are
questions we must ask ourselves.

Emily

PS *These questions are rhetorical. You can answer them, but I don't
expect anyone too.