[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 22:11:25 UTC 2009

on 8/11/09 4:13 PM, George Herbert at george.herbert at gmail.com wrote:

> SilkTork has started closing down and summarizing the poll results.
>
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia:Civility/Poll
>
> I am still reviewing the statistics and sum total comments, but some
> takeaways I already have -
>
> 0. It's a problem.
> 1. We're not enforcing consistently at all, and that's hurting us.
> 2. We're BITEing new users.

Is anyone really surprised at this? On this very List people are constantly
bragging about how wonderful Wikipedia is; focusing exclusively on how big
it is. Yet completely ignoring how screwed up the culture is. It's like a
company's media people pushing how good their product is, and how big their
company is, and completely avoiding how poorly their workers are treated -
while those in the executive suite are focused on trying to persuade people
to invest money in them. Arrogance without wisdom is hubris. This is a
formula for disaster.

Marc Riddell