[WikiEN-l] Slog rate

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Aug 10 12:57:08 UTC 2009

"Jon" <scream at nonvocalscream.com> asked in message
news:4A02F66B.2060401 at nonvocalscream.com...
(...)
> What algorithm are you using [to calculate a slog rate]?
(...)

Everyone can put articles on a scale of one to ten, disregarding content
warnings at the top, and it would be a heuristic algorithm, weight as you
please, combining something like gunning fog index, understandability, a
rough count of grammatical errors, an estimate of how correct the article
is, and another estimate of how complete the article is. Naturally, those
last two things would not figure into any mechanical quality index, and it
is better if a grammar checker flags jargon and identifies passive voice for
you. Although I offerred ratings on some articles when I started with
wikipedia, it is not my best game. It might even encourage a compromise on
completeness or correctness. Writers in Science, for example, would find it
very hard to avoid jargon, and once that jargon has its own article or a
proper introduction, jargon should be not only allowed but encouraged, as
long as it is speakable.
_______
[http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/ BrewJay's Babble Bin]