[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 01:49:42 UTC 2009

A reference that requires payment is still a reference and there is no
reason to remove it. Almost always, these paid sources are subscribed
to by libraries to which many hundreds of people here have access, and
can be accessed at least by those members of that institution, and
often by public visitors to it.
Further, the articles will be read by thousands of people who do have
access, as well as by those who do not. it is no more a problem that
those books available in only a few dozen libraries.

The only paid references that should be removed are those which merely
duplicate exactly what is available from other sources.  For example,
if a story is reprinted  in many newspapers, we should try to find one
which is free.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.