[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 01:12:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM, <wjhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> You have completely ignored the requirement that I am here *solely*
> referring to items which live, online, behind subscription walls.  If
> the item is free, then it does not.  So that removes the majority of
> your counter-argument.

I'm honestly not trying to ignore any point. But that does not mean
that I am not ignorant. It's been a long day. But I guess what you're
referring to is this bit of what you said:

> Part A or 1) *If* the article lives exclusively online, then it gets
> removed. We should not be requiring or pandering for, commercial
> activity, we as verifiers should have a choice in the matter.  There
> must always be a "free" alternative of some sort.

If that's the case (and I'm by no means sure), then you didn't mention
(or, perhaps, reiterate) subscription walls. And that's where I got
confused.

< pauses for thought >

Yes, I think you felt that the 'subscription wall' bit went without
saying because of the context of the argument, but I just took you as
if your words were in a new realm.

Still, it raises another interesting question...

My local library may be free. With access to microfilm for the
newspaper archives. But my local bus fair is £2. And I need a bus to
get to the library. And back. So that's £4. Murdoch's subscription
might charge me 10 pence to look at the article.

But anyway... I'm taking us very off track.

I'm sorry, I did misunderstand you. I see where you're aiming at now.