[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 19:21:10 UTC 2009

If these things come to pass, it can reasonably be expected that
almost all libraries in the  developed world will subscribe to such
newspapers as the WSJ and the NYT, and make them available online to
library members in their communities.  This will of course require
first, knowing about this, and second, getting a library card. At
present, many important resources are available this way that are not
obtainable directly without charge, and people at Wikipedia  often do
not know this, and complain about the difficulty of using them.
(Unfortunately, many other important resources are available this way
only from University libraries to their communities, or in public
libraries only from within the main library building)

We could easily establish some   system  to refer people to the
appropriate ones; to some degree, we already do it for books.

A much more serious problem is the availability of this material in
the less-developed world, which includes a great many people who rely
on the English Wikipedia--many of whom do not have practical access to
any good library.  For high-priced academic journals, many publishers
now make them available free in the least-developed countries (on the
principle that colleges there would never be able to afford their
subscription prices, & they are thus losing no potential revenue).
Unless such publishers as we are now considering do likewise--and they
have less incentive to, for they would probably be able to sell some
number of subscriptions almost anywhere--the world-wide availability
of information will be severely restricted.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.