[WikiEN-l] Online Newspapers Considering Subscription Model

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:28:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Al Tally<majorly.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Thing is, I expect most people don't keep newspapers, but people do have
> plenty of books, easily accessible in libraries and in their homes (and easy
> to buy). I don't know the case for other people, but in my "local" library
> old local newspapers are kept on microfilm, which makes accessing them
> really tedious, especially if you don't know when whatever you're looking
> for occurred. At least books are generally easily accessible. Newspapers
> more often than not are chucked away by most people, which makes citing them
> difficult if News Corp does this and other news sites follow suit.

Is it possible that part of the reason people chuck newspapers away
and keep books is because they think books are (in general) more
reliable? Or to put it another way, newspapers are transient, and
books are more permanent. Some stuff in newspapers is really horribly
unreliable. Books as well. But the best books are nearly always better
than newspapers. Even if a book is written based in part on newspaper
reports, it should go beyond that and establish firmer reliability and
more research into whatever is being written about.

Carcharoth