[WikiEN-l] In development--BLP task force

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 03:32:21 UTC 2009

Blog posts fail our requirement that an author of a piece be previously
published by a third-party publisher.  Blog posts are almost always by
amateur writers, regardless of how long they've been blogging.  A true
writer, has true writing credits by reputable publishing houses.

Similarly newsletter articles have little to no valid editorial
oversight.  Generally what you write, is what they print, and sometimes
there is a too-close relationship between the writer and the publisher
which we would want to avoid.  True writers, have true writings,
published by actual third-party reputable publishing houses.
Newsletters would fail.

Now discarding those sort of sources, let's say we have five newspaper
articles, and two mentions in books about this person positively, and
245 newspaper articles and 18 mentions negative.  What would you do?

What I would do, is try to distill the essence of those contributions
into an article.  Obviously nobody, not even Barack warrants 270
footnotes.  So we have to narrow it somewhat.  The way we should narrow
it however wouldn't be to balance the positive with the negative in
this case.  The weight is clearly on the negative and that's how we
should write the article.

Will Johnson