[WikiEN-l] Lists and redlinks and link maintenance

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 21:45:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> I notice that some people now are adding refs to 'genre' tags now, to
>> thwart the genre trolls. Not that that required any technical
>> fiddling, but I'm just saying in passing.
>
> Genre tags? Genre trolls?

I use the word 'tags' loosely. It's just text you get in rock band,
hip-hop (etc) artist's article's info-boxes.

For rock bands and the like, there's ongoing problems in that one
man's "nu-metal" is another man's "hard core" and one man's "loopy
dizzscare" is another man's "jazzcock".

So you quite commonly see people attributing a musical genre to a band
that other people disagree with, and some anonymous users have a fine
old time changing 5 articles per minute to state their FAVOURITE genre
simply *must* apply to every band they like, regardless of the facts
of the matter.

Edit warring happens. And that is bad. So now I've noticed that people
are putting in citations pointing to the All Music Guide and suchlike,
which one hopes will help.