[WikiEN-l] Lists and redlinks and link maintenance

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:26:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Magnus
Manske<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:42 AM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Pauling_Award

PS. The one thing I'm very bad at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Linus_Pauling_Award

...is linking from the winners of an award back to the award page.

I refuse to create bloated navboxes that pollute "what links here" to
put on each award winner, but the old tension between navboxes, lists
and categories is still there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:The_Benjamin_Franklin_Medal_laureates

Someone made a half-hearted (more like 0.5% hearted) effort to start a
category for that award. Some awards have categories, some have
navboxes, some have lists. I favour lists, myself, but can understand
some navboxes and a very limited number of categories (for the really
major awards). The navboxes would be so much better if they didn't
pollute "what links here".

But what I really need is the time to pull out a standard description
sentence and citation for each winner, and plonk it in their article.
Plus be able to see at a glance which articles don't have the award
mentioned or that fact cited. At the moment, has to be done by hand,
but I'm sure there are some nifty shortcuts.

For awards of 50 or so people, its not so bad. But when you have
awards with hundreds of winners going back centuries, it becomes a bit
of a chore. And then you have to start explaining *why* they won the
award... (which it, after all, the whole point really).

Carcharoth