[WikiEN-l] Where does en:wp need most help?

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 00:06:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Steve Bennett<stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Efforts like the Wikipedia Selection for Schools are important to help
>> too (and feed into 0.7 and 1.0). Remember, that's a real actual
>> encyclopedia DVD being used in actual schools and hugely popular with
>> teachers, based on all our hard work over the years.
>
> *nod* Still working my way around the Wikipedia 1.0 stuff. There's so
> much of it, and not that well organised yet. But my point stands - we
> should really have a way of focusing efforts on the important articles
> first. Instead of "random article" we should have a weighted average
> thing that is more likely to send you to a high priority article.

That's... a great idea!

You are aware of the various "importance" ratings some WikiProject use
alongside assessment ratings?

My memory of the WP:1.0 (or 0.7 or 0.5) core articles thing for
biographies was that people spent months arguing over who should be
the most important 200 articles to give priority to working on, and
then when that had been decided and the time came to work on the
articles, people suddenly went quiet and slipped away.

Hmm.

Here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Version_1.0_Editorial_Team/Core_topics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Biography/Core_biographies

Hey, I'm impressed!

FA: 20
GA: 	24
B: 102
C: 54

Of the 200 articles, all are now C or above.