[WikiEN-l] Rorschach wars continue

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 03:55:00 UTC 2009

"Harm" is gray, not black and white.  Almost anything we publish could
*cause harm* in some way.
However the Rorschach images are not BLPs.  I'm sure publishing  details to
day about President Wilson's adultery might "cause harm" to his  descendents
if any, but it's already been published in a dozen books so we  should not
be the instrument for suppressing it, or for insinuating the desire  (by our
action or inaction) for other media to suppress it.

Published details of World War II might cause harm, that doesn't mean we
should not do it.  I don't think there is any community consensus for
extending that particular policy language to the entire project.

Psychologists, like any other scientists, should make allowances for the
subject-knowledge problem, that the subject knows the expected answers and
knows  how to manipulate the results.  Taking account for that possibility is
just  a part of being a scientist.

Protest alone is not sufficient to justify censorship.

In a message dated 8/1/2009 8:40:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
arromdee at rahul.net writes:

On Sat,  1 Aug 2009, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> > I think that AGF  requires that we take the psychologists at their word
> > when they  claim that they want the pictures removed because they cause
harm,
>  > rather than to help their income.
> Methinks that posting was a  smiley facey wanting. I sincerely
> hope you weren't in dead  earnest.

What makes you think I wasn't in dead earnest?  Because  it's obviously
silly
that someone would accuse psychologists of that?   It's nowhere near as
silly
as lots of other things people say with all  seriousness over the Internet.
(And for all I know, I could have been  talking to a Scientologist, and
that's exactly how they think of  psychologists.)

To unsubscribe from this  mailing list,  visit: