[WikiEN-l] Abbott caught altering entries to Wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 19:35:23 UTC 2009

2009/7/31 Jay Litwyn <brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>:

> I can almost see a whack-a-mole problem happening if we tried to control it,
> say by listing IP#s by default on edits to commercial interests. Then they
> would just do the suppresion through remote access to their home computer.
> http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/ I should check that out. Maybe a link to it
> should go on commercial interests.

There's no real reason for us to do much. When the WikiScanner first
hit the news, I was surprised how upset the general public and the
media were at the idea of companies editing pages related to
themselves - they were actually much, much more upset about it than
Wikipedia itself is. "Reasons not to edit the page about you: massive
PR disaster if you're found out."

- d.