[WikiEN-l] "Taxman denies Wikipedia UK charity status"

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:16:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/30 Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:06 PM,  <wjhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>>> Gwern is criticizing the article.  The Wiki-En operates under US
>>> copyright law.  In the US you may quote an entire copyrighted work if
>>> your purpose is to criticize/critique it.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this is not an accurate reading of fair use.
>>
>> Take note of item 3 in the US Copyright site:
>> http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
>
> Which does not state that an entire copyrighted work may never be quoted.

This is entirely case law, so you won't find anything instructive to
that effect.

Nearly every public web site or publicly archived mailing list
strongly discourages, if not bans, full quoting. Given the Wikimedia
community's stringent standards w.r.t. copyright, we should do no
less.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)