[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:02:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/04/2009, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> But, as long as a consensus, with good reason, wish to retain, any
>> burden is discharged.
>
> No.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the principle is that any material that isn't
> referenced to a reliable source can be removed at any time,
> irrespective of consensus.
>
> --
> -Ian Woollard

One of the favorite credos of Immediatists & WP:DICKs.

But I was a little surprised to see a lone outpost of sanity in WP:V:

"Any material lacking a reliable source may be removed, but editors
might object if you remove material without giving them sufficient
time to provide references, and it has always been good practice, and
expected behavior of Wikipedia editors (in line with our editing
policy), to make reasonable efforts to find sources oneself that
support such material, and cite them."

--
gwern