[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Apr 28 07:29:57 UTC 2009

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> I'm not convinced that a property's mere existence on the National Trust
> website makes it "notable".  We have many cases where things are mentioned
> in this or that place and yet that thing is not "notable" the way we use the
> word.  It would be up to the author to explain why this particular property
>  is notable if any AfD were brought.

Why would it be listed in the National Trust if it's not notable.  Your
use of the royal "we" is not sufficient for projecting your
idiosyncratic view of "notable" on the rest of us.  Requiring the author
to explain why a property is notable makes it easier to have shifting
goalposts for notability to satisfy the AfD denizens.

> With over six *million* books now scanned, I think it's a much harder cry to
> claim that some thing *not citable in Google Books* is yet still notable.
>
> I think six million books probably covers almost all territory that we want
>  to cover this decade.  I'd have to be convinced as to why a person or
> thing, which cannot be found there, is notable.

That speaks to a very narrow outlook on notability.  I'm sure that there
is much which they have not yet scanned.  I am a little more
discriminating than to believe yhat the two O's in Google's logo are two
moons to be kissed.

Ec