[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 20:12:24 UTC 2009

The question isn't whether the material is verifiable. The question is
whether we want to include articles on all village churches, some of
them, or none of them.  The current answer is we include all of them
that are on official historical monument lists--which makes sense--
and also those that happen to have 2 findable references with
substantial coverage from  third party independent published reliable
sources--which is not necessarily based on anything fundamental, but
does offer a rough screen. The screen will use its usefulness when
Google Books Search gets all of published local history on record.

I mention that information from churches and schools and similar
institutions about their earlier history is not always reliable: they
tend to claim a long connection with prior institutions that may or
may not be correct, and a connection with notable bodies or
organizations that may or may not have been real.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.