[WikiEN-l] Knol - Our first major scandel

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 18:47:21 UTC 2009

2009/4/27  <WJhonson at aol.com>:
> In a message dated 4/27/2009 11:12:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> saintonge at telus.net writes:

>> Yes, and, absent any agreement to the contrary, any one of those same
>> authors may grant a free licence.>>

> I'm very suspicious of this claim.
> If I and seven other own a piece of property, I alone cannot sell it to a
> prospective buyer.  The same would hold of copyright.  Although each owner
> has a copyright, a single owner cannot grant away the entire right to a third
> party.

It also doesn't sound right from the practices for free software -
where relicensing is a massive pain in the backside because of the
need to get agreement from all contributors. Hence the "or later"
language recommended for the GPL - and the GFDL, hence a mere vote on
relicensing being possible.

- d.