[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Apr 27 18:39:02 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/27/2009 11:27:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
carcharothwp at googlemail.com writes:

> "Yes, the sources we have are unlikely to be wrong about the
> architectural merits, and quite possibly the building will be
> mentioned in some other local history books - it is just that this
> won't google up."
>
> Doc's saying that people delete based on Google results.>>

---------------

Google Books changes everything.
If they delete based on Google and fail to search Google Books for items of
historical note then they are acting without a duty of actual research.

I'm not saying that people should delete based on Google results in the
first place.  In fact I am the one who put that note on historical subjects
into the policy in the first place a few years back.  Subjects who are not
necessarily currently talked-up might have been quite the popular rage back in
1920 or 1920 or 1420, and should not be deleted based on current Google
searches.

With Google Books we can now allow the Chair Potato to see that for
themselves.

Will Johnson