[WikiEN-l] Knol - Our first major scandel

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Apr 26 23:35:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> It's impossible to reconcile the editorial principle
> that you do not own the contents of an article that it is freely
> editable by anyone, and the legal right to be credited under copyright
> law.

I think you're right that there's at least some contradiction between the
principle of "anyone can edit" and the principle of "authors should be
credited".  The right to integrity and the right to attribution may seem
easily separable at first glance, but Wikipedia has, I believe, shown the
limits of that separability.

On the other hand, I would think that a court would reconcile such
contradiction in favor of upholding those rights reserved, rather than
insisting that the explicit waiver of one right constituted an implicit
waiver of the other.  But maybe that's just wishful thinking.