[WikiEN-l] Knol - Our first major scandel

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 23:00:32 UTC 2009

2009/4/26 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
> The matters of principle in the Jacobsen v. Katzer appear to have been
> decided for the moment, but the denial of a preliminary injunction
> suggests that the practicalities are far from clear.  While it's true
> enough that someone may have standing to sue with respect to most
> Wikipedia articles, how would it be worth their while?
>
> Remember that pre-registration is still a requirement for a plaintiff
> who wants statutory damages or a recovery of legal costs. Without
> pre-registration he may get injunctive relief, and only recover actual
> damages.

People don't edit Wikipedia for the money, they do it because they
think it is a worthy cause. If they were going to sue it would be to
further that cause - injunctive relief being the desired outcome.
Monetary damages would serve as a deterrent but, as you say, it would
probably be difficult to get any under US law. Of course, there is
nothing that says you have to sue in the US.