[WikiEN-l] Knol - Our first major scandel

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Apr 26 04:36:32 UTC 2009

I, along with seven other co-authors, write an article on say.... Cheese
Whiz.  In the article we state that anyone may copy the article, provided that
they state where they got it from, and that the article may be copied by
anyone else provided that they state where they got it from...

Can I alone bring a lawsuit against anyone else copying the article without
stating where they got it from?  Since the article is not exactly
*copyright* I would say it's freely licensed under one condition.  Does this really
fall under copyright law?  Or would it be more in the way of a standard
contract?

There is an explicit contract that you cannot copy this unless you state
it's origin.  Do I have to show actual financial damages?  Who is going to
want to be the first to test the water?  That's the real issue.  If you lose,
you still have to pay your own lawyer.

Will