[WikiEN-l] Knol - Our first major scandel

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 25 21:16:32 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/4/25  <WJhonson at aol.com>:
>
>> When there is no repurcussion, people will do what they will ;)
>> Does the WF want to start sending cease-and-desist letters based on mirrors
>>  not displaying the license link?
>>
> The WMF doesn't own those articles, so I'm not sure they can really do
> anything about it. The actual authors need to complain.

You're both right.  It's impossible to reconcile the editorial principle
that you do not own the contents of an article that it is freely
editable by anyone, and the legal right to be credited under copyright
law.  Whatever the eventual form of the licence, anyone who harbours the
illusion that the WMF will step up to the plate to protect any
individual's copyrights is being just plain fucking irresponsible in
looking after his own rights.

There is good reason why copyrights developed within civil law instead
of criminal law.  It shouldn't be up to governments to prosecute private
rights.

Ec