[WikiEN-l] Paul Graham on credentialism

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 09:12:03 UTC 2009

2009/4/25 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:

> Rather self-congratulatory on the grounds of US first degrees no longer
> being particularly meaningful!

Paul Graham's stuff is always interesting, but sometimes just a little
narrow ... the world is an MIT-orbiting technology startup.

>  Which rather ducks the point that where
> you go to graduate school would still matter enormously.  Why _are_
> people hired in the basis of MBAs?

I have a friend who's discovering that MBA is the degree after Ph.D if
you don't want to be an academic. He says it's like doing flung monkey
dung as a second language. Learning how to treat people as things for
a living. I suppose that's shibboleths. I'm sure that's appallingly
unfair to MBA degrees.

- d.