[WikiEN-l] Off-topic, but I must share this

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Apr 24 13:29:10 UTC 2009

(I do not think wikipedia will be allowed to drop ShareAlike, which pretty
much means static license. If wikipedia's license changes at all, then it
will be for matters of style.) Information on wajoop is clearly inferior for
readability reasons, so I do not know why it would become popular as an
authoritative resource. Even if a human starts cleaning up translations, the
hundred and fifty thousand eyes on wikipedia will still outclass just about
everyone but the big boys, and when it comes points of view that really need
more understanding, even them. Getting listed on google is hard to avoid. Do
not worry about competition from wajoop. If they do run commercials, then
people will be drawn to their source, that is if they do not find wikipedia,
first, which is probable outside of some security and word of mouth
disaster -- citations on web pages and such.

news:f70a9ccf0904240554m7ee542ecv160cbb0151921796 at mail.gmail.com...