[WikiEN-l] Using Wikipedia to out pseudonymous Erwin James, Guardian writ...

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Apr 24 11:44:02 UTC 2009

I agree that it is not original research to out someone. It is not prudent,
though. My pseudonyms do not ask anybody to believe that I am posting under
my given and family names. Someone might ask why, and
I will tell them that I do not consider those names to be guarded secrets.
Eric Blair actually wanted his friends and family to use his nom de plume.
He did not sign his cheques as "George Orwell".

In this case, the reasons that someone chose a pen name are because it was
on court documents, so he wants to make a better name for himself before he
asserts identicality of two names in an autobiography. Okay, so how many
times does the identity need to be repeated. On how many fronts of human
knowledge does Erwin James contribute?

So, I think the problem is not that an identity was exposed. It is
concentrating on it as though his notability is based upon court records, or
as though the crimes committed did not stop after those records were made,
or as though those crimes hav some bearing on whether a writer should be
trusted.
_______
http://ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/Sound/wish.mp3 Answering Michael.
Recordings are mine. Performance is not. You can make my wish come true.