[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Apr 24 07:15:13 UTC 2009

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com writes
>> This is a wonderful idea!  It could even make sense to have Metapedia
>> as a Wikimedia project...an explicitly curatorial project that
>> attempts to sort different kinds of content and evaluate strengths and
>> weaknesses.

Having this hosted by Wikimedia would be a great opportunity to reinvent
past mistakes.

>> It could also serve as a place to have general
>> discussions about certain topics, without the necessity (as on
>> Wikipedia talk pages, nominally) of focusing on content improvement;
>> that's something that there's a need for, and something that causes
>> specific projects to suffer because of the tendency of readers to try
>> to start general discussions.>>

I've noticed the appalling trend to apply restrictions to content
improvement on talk pages.  Wide ranging discussions on talk pages are
important to the better understanding of many articles.

> I've noticed a number of news outlets allowing posts at the bottom of
> articles.  You can't actually change the article itself yet, but why the heck
> not?  They could easily set-up moderated changes.  Better than some reporter
> slogging through 500 posts to find the one that complains about a spelling
> error.

Moderated changes need to be accompanied by article histories to prevent
truth as flavor of the day.

Ec