[WikiEN-l] Edward Doran

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:47:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> I have no idea of English geography.  I couldn't tell you if  Lancashire is
> near Hampshire or on the opposite side of the island.

Surely you would, um, look it up in a convenient online encyclopedia? :-/
Remembering to check the sources and not trust what the article said...

For the record, they are a long way apart. Lancashire (House of
Lancaster - War of the Roses and all that) is in the North-East.
Hampshire is one of the Home Counties around London - to the West of
London reaching down to the South Coast.

Remembering to take into account historical border changes, of
course... Oldham is now in Greater Manchester, but used to be part of
Lancashire:

"Historically a part of Lancashire, and with little early history to
speak of, Oldham rose to prominence during the 19th century as an
international centre of textile manufacture."

Ditto for Failsworth: "Historically a part of Lancashire, until the
19th century Failsworth was a small agricultural township linked,
ecclesiastically, with the parish of Manchester."

OK, this *is* off-topic now.

Carcharoth