[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 21:25:51 UTC 2009

I don't think I can agree that a wiki is not suitable for a next class
of encyclopedia project.

Wikipedia, with verified identification for "approved editors", with
moderated updates still retaining "anyone can edit", and with author
credit for the top [say five] contributors to any article, I think
would go a long way to that next model.

You are approved as an editor merely by verifying your identification,
not by credential.  This is the way Knol does it, and I like that.  It
neatly cuts off, right at the head, any desire by editors to vandalize.

Anyone can edit, still allows any reader/writer to feel special and
needed.  They should be able to view the approved-article with their
new changes right away, people won't like needing to wait a day to
follow their own line-of-thought further.

Author credit tempts professional writers to stay and contribute, as
opposed to drifting over to Knol.  I wonder if Brittanica will adopt an
author-credit model on moderated edits?  That would be interesting.

Will Johnson