[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 22 20:54:11 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/4/22 doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com>:
>
>> You need to offer a writer something very different, if you are to
>> motivate him to write in the early stages when readership will be low.
>> Or indeed, you have to attract the type of writer who would be wholly
>> disinterested in writing for wikipedia.
>

> More - you need people who are actually disinterested, not embittered.
> Note how many Wikipedia Review regulars have managed to get banned
> from Citizendium as well as Wikipedia in record time. It's entirely
> unclear why they don't start their own wiki encyclopedia, and thus
> demonstrate our evil and worthlessness.
>

> - d.

I suspect that most of such critics have reached the conclusion that a
wiki is not a suitable way of creating an encyclopedia.

It does seem to me that most of this discussion is predicated on the
assumption that Otherpedia.org will be a wiki and will be free-use. I
strongly suspect that anything that starts from that basis will be too
much like wikipedia to be anything more than a small-player in some niche.