[WikiEN-l] Citizendium vs. Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:40:23 UTC 2009

2009/4/22 doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com>:
> Readership WILL eventually be the incentive for writing. But any startup
> begins with zero readers, and can't possibly attract any readers unless
> it has content, for which is needs writers motivated to write only in
> the expectation of future readers.

You could seed your new project with content from an existing one (as
Citizendium tried at one point), that can get around the issue of
having no readers to start with - you can start attracting readers at
the same time as you attract writers. It becomes very difficult to be
sufficiently different from Wikipedia if you start with identical
content, though, and I agree that that is required for any real
success.