[WikiEN-l] We've been overtaken.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Apr 22 16:58:44 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> 2009/4/22 Ray Saintonge:
>
>> I wouldn't be too concerned about it either. This is a volunteer project
>> so, unlike with the folks at EB, nobody's livelihood depends on it.
>>
> That's not entirely true. Very few people's livelihoods depends on it,
> but we do have some paid staff.

I'm glad to see you took the bait. :-)

Does the paid staff exist to support the volunteer project, or is it the
other way around?  When essentially volunteer organizations feel obliged
to protect the jobs of their paid staff by promoting monopolistic
practices they become anti-competitive.  It's difficult to know when the
line is crossed.

Ec