[WikiEN-l] Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Apr 21 12:35:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:20 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know some Wikipedians were asking Google "wtf? Could you at least
> not rank us three pages behind our own mirrors?"

And Google complied, implementing a duplicate content penalty which
eliminated mirrors and forks alike (and is probably hurting Citizendium
right this very moment).  My point exactly.

But the thing is: huge popularity for the wikipedia.org website isn't
> necessarily a win for Wikipedia and writing an encyclopedia. Mostly
> it's been an expensive pain in the arse.

Agreed, but the question this thread came from was implicitly equating
popularity with success: "Will Citizendium become a top 1000 website within
the next five years?"