[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of l...

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Wed Apr 22 04:19:03 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>
To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>; wjhonson at aol.com
Sent: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 6:04 pm
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Foundation-l] Board statement regarding
biographies of l...

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM,  &lt;WJhonson at aol.com&gt; wrote:

Right, Wrong, True, False, White, Black, and so on do not exist.  They

don't.  No existence.  They aren't there.  Nowhere.  Ok ...
Is that why the standard for Wikipedia is verifiability, and not
truth?>>
-----------------

If I can cite to the New York Post stating that "Britney Spears likes
to walk her poodles every morning at 8 AM" then I've done my job.  I do
not have to interview Ms Spears myself to confirm that.  I do not need
three separate sources to confirm it.  And if she were to show up, or
some imposter and claim face-to-face that it's wrong and it should say
"Dobermans" not poodles, not *only* should I do nothing to remove the
sourced claim, but rather if I were to, that itself would be original
research.  There is no way I can know if the imposter is truly Britney
Spears and there is no way I can know if she has poodles or dobermans
directly.

It is impossible to "take the word" of some random passerby and use
that to modify content.  Any viewer can *contest* any article without
sources.  We add a {{fact}} tag.  They can as well spout off20on the
Talk page.  We however cannot be in the position of second guessing who
anyone is or isn't.  If they feel strongly about it, they can post a
rebuttal.  If they are not willing to type two sentences on an official
site, but ARE willing to type a hundred in-project, than I submit it's
*highly* unlikely to be the person in question in the first place.

IF they write a blog where they complain about process, that is simply
more free publicity for us.  There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Will Johnson