[WikiEN-l] We've been overtaken.

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:36:23 UTC 2009

2009/4/21 Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com>:
> So far as I can tell from percentage breakdowns by country in Alexa,
> the Chinese go to hudong and zh.wikipedia.org equally often- virtually
> the same number of page hits. However, hudong ranks 112 and
> wikipedia.org ranks 66 in China, which tells you that a lot of people
> are reading the other languages more than Chinese.

I seriously doubt that Alexa rankings at all meaningful for Chinese
page views. I'm not sure if it is still the case, but I seem to recall
that at some point the Alexa toolbar was only available in English,
that would explain why wikipedia.org does better - people that don't
speak good English are more likely to use the Chinese sites and less
likely to use the Alexa toolbar.