[WikiEN-l] We've been overtaken.

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:13:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 21/04/2009, Scientia Potentia est <bibliomaniac_15 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm not too concerned. Their notability standards seem to be very loose,
> and
> > they have few of the trappings that we emphasize: BLP, neutrality,
> reliable
> > sourcing, brilliant prose, etc.
>
> That's exactly the kind of thing that the Encyclopedia Britannica said
> about the Wikipedia!
>
> --
> -Ian Woollard

Exactly what I thought. Better integration and support for wikiprojects
(have to say, I sort of prefer "task groups" as a name...), better
recognition on the wiki of top contributors to various articles -- those are
things we could really learn from. And if we could approach the proprietor,
and encourage a more compatible licensing scheme, our Chinese language
projects could really benefit (and their project could benefit from
Wikimedia content).

Did this thing just appear out of nowhere? Suddenly a collaborative online
reference site larger than the English Wikipedia?

Nathan