[WikiEN-l] Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Apr 19 14:17:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
>
>> Netscape (presumably the "for-profit company" you're talking about
>> here) spun off the Mozilla Foundation as a nonprofit entity way back
>> when they first open-sourced what was originally the partly-completed
>> Netscape 5 version of their browser.
>

> Netscape formed the "Mozilla Organization", which was an unincorporated
> entity (if you want to call it an entity at all, it was more an open source
> project than an entity) much like Nupedia/Wikipedia when it was before the
> WMF was formed.  The Mozilla Foundation was incorporated much later, after
> Firefox was already started.

By the way, Blake Ross was an intern at AOL/Netscape, and David Hyatt was an
employee at AOL/Netscape, when Firefox was born.  They didn't work for the
Mozilla Foundation, which didn't yet exist, and they didn't work for the
Mozilla Organization, which probably didn't even have a bank account.
Moreover, I bet they had a boss, and I bet they worked under the direction
of that boss.  Should we call that boss the "sole founder" of Firefox?