[WikiEN-l] Rod Liddle, Spectator, on his Wikipedia article

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 17 10:51:44 UTC 2009

Oldak Quill wrote:
>  We should determine if that Spectator article contains untruths
> and, if it does, we should ensure that a retraction is issued.

Basically we should (if anything) ask someone to write a polite letter
to the editor of the Spectator, pointing out a few things:

Sir,

- it is fashionable to write certain kinds of knocking copy about WP,
but we find that this can conceal lazy journalism and misunderstanding
of how the site works, and there is a history of hacks fabricating
stories this way;
- WP has a perfectly good complaints mechanism for dealing with untruths
posted on the site;
- like any website, WP reserves the right to regulate what is posted and
take action against those who disregard the purpose for which it is
designed.

In the light of which, we think more professional courtesy should be
shown than Rod Liddle has done: we have plenty of attention-seekers
coming to edit Wikipedia, but we take a dim view of "bored teenager in
bedroom" rampaging around on what is a public service. So a retraction
of misleading comments would be appreciated.

NB The Spectator is reasonably stylish, prose-wise, so a letter written
for publication should be well written.

Charles