[WikiEN-l] Rod Liddle, Spectator, on his Wikipedia article

Andrew Turvey andrewrturvey at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 16 23:50:45 UTC 2009

My reading of the Act - although I don't think there have ever been any relevant case histories - is that section 3 offenses are committed the intent is any one of:

a) impairing computer or program operation
b) preventing access
c) impairing the reliability of data

I would imagine vandalism would fall pretty squarely under (c).

Having looked into it further, I would agree it would have to go to summary trial which would mean a maximum 3 months in jail or £2,500 fine as the value of the damage is less than £2,000 (CJA88s38)