[WikiEN-l] An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 13 04:30:34 UTC 2009

This is exactly what matters. From what I can tell Sanger wrote much of
Wikipedia's initialy policy - policy that lives on today in various edited
forms. Not only was he key in coming up with the more formal guidelines for
Nupedia, he personally wrote many of the informal guidelines that came to be
used on Wikipedia. This is well documented on archive.org and Wikipedia
itself.

Let's be clear that, especially after the failure of Nupedia to take off,
Wikipedia's success was a surprise both to Sanger and Wales. Neither of them
expected that this would happen and can therefore not take full or too much
credit for it. Both of their lives have been redefined by Wikipedia's
success and it seems reasonably human to not want to let go of that. At the
same time, while an individual can co-found an encyclopedia, they cannot
take credit for the community's work.

I say this because I get the feeling that Wales and Sanger both believe
there is a lot at stake here and at the same time I feel that they both take
too much credit for what has happened. What they did is akin to writing an
academic paper that first introduces an idea. They cannot claim authorship
or credit for all of the publications that cite their initial publication -
just the initial idea. It seems clear that this initial idea was authored
and implemented by Sanger & Wales (2001?). It would be a grave injustice to
just cite Wales (2001) if the idea was only part, or not even, his.