[WikiEN-l] AFD has gone to a 7 day cycle

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 02:04:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, and discussion closed by someone who participated.  Just as an aside.
>
> Risker
>
> 2009/4/11 George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>
>
> > On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Ron Ritzman <ritzman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > wrote:
> > > >>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_deletion#Proposal_to_change_the_length_of_deletion_discussions_to_7_days

> like
> > since,
> Pointless
> > in
> > > my
> they've
> > > been

> > > The same can be asked for any proposed policy change. Considering the
> > > current size of the project I don't think it's possible to involve
> > > enough of the community in any such discussion no matter how it's
> > > announced. Remember the spoiler thing a few years ago? Most editors
> > > had no clue about the change until spoiler tags were being mass AWBed
> > > out of articles.
> >

> > Pointers on AN?  The policies part of the village pump?
> >
> > If it was there and I missed it, my bad.  If there wasn't anything
> there...

I am not particularly concerned by the closing administrator not being
neutral - he read the tea leaves in the poll results fairly, and the results
seemed fairly unambiguous (3:1 support for extension).

I am however concerned that nobody had posted pointers out anywhere.  I went
back through AN and Village Pump archives and found nothing.

With that in mind, I started this notice on AN:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard#Articles_for_Deletion_time_extended_to_7_days

If there are any significant objections, I recommend a new thread on the AFD
talk page to reopen and revisit the issue, with more visibility to others in
the project.

On reflection, I do not myself find that I object to the results of this, so
I'm not going to file an objection myself.  However, I believe we need to
make fair notifications more widely, and offer a chance for objections from
the wider crowd before this is settled and done.  I have in the past and
still today object to side-room actions to change policy without wider
discussion and attention.  We can get ourselves in a lot of trouble just by
not noticing something, even if all the key players watchlist all the key
policies.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com