[WikiEN-l] Citizendium

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 19:23:02 UTC 2009

In a message dated 4/10/2009 12:13:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com writes:

> I couldn't actually submit the changes without signing
> up for a subscription (at least, a free trial subscription).  I think
> the Britannica "editing by the public" move is more or less a gimmick
> to drive subscriptions rather than an effort to seek reader edits.

haven't renewed it yet.

I have used Brittanica for links, but they are almost becoming obsolete with
the appearance of Google Books, at least in my field.  Why link to modern
accumulator when you can link right back to an older, or perhaps even *the*
primary source for some piece of evidence?  So I'm a bit ambivalent on whether to
extend my subscription even though free.  I just find that I'm not using them.

In addition, a great deal of my recent work, has been on BLPs and Brittanica
just does not cover them to the depth that I need.  So generally I just
rewrite them using most primitive sources anyway.

Brittanica is great however for tangential or incidental links in articles
you are writing, but then so is Wikipedia, and I do like that I can make edits
directly to it, but then I can do that in Wikipedia.  Brittanica is supposed to
be written by experts, but I tend to find errors and omissions there that are
inexplicable.  Generally I find these on articles I worked myself in-depth.
It makes me wonder about the experts.

I'm not sure if I like it enough to continue doing it.

Will Johnson