[WikiEN-l] An open letter to Jimmy Wales

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:22:15 UTC 2009

2009/4/9 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

> I predict it won't stop it for a moment. Mike Johnson of CZ has noted
> before that criticising Wikipedia is the quickest way to publicity for
> Citizendium:
> http://moderndragons.blogspot.com/2007/05/modern-dragons-now-with-20-more-umlauts.html
> As I commented on that post, it's not clear that's good for
> Citizendium in the long run. Entirely too many Citizendium
> contributors appear to be in it to be against Wikipedia, rather than
> e.g. to write an encyclopedia.

Further note from Tara Hunt: "How not to build a community: Part I:
the anti-community "

http://www.horsepigcow.com/2006/06/how-not-to-build-community-part-i-anti.html

"The first mistake I ever made in community fostering is to position
the company I worked for in opposition to another one (can't find that
post, but I was an idiot). So let me offer this unsolicited advice:
Rule #1 in building your own reputation is to never ever ever build it
on the grounds that it is different/better/etc. than an established
company"

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29
- the successful forks don't spend their time railing against the
other tine of the fork ... they get on with being good of their own
account.

- d.