[WikiEN-l] An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Tris Thomas Tris at waterhay.co.uk
Thu Apr 9 19:04:56 UTC 2009

This statement is totally incorrect:

Suffice it to say that, outside
of Wikipedia's inner circles and its Web 2.0 promoters and fans, Wikipedia's
reputation for honesty and decency is rather less than sterling.

I am pretty new to Wikipedia editing but have obviously used it for a
long time before.  Wikipedia has some reliability issues which is why
it's discouraged in schools etc. but it definitely does not have a
reputation for dishonesty & indecency.  I am no Wikipedia die hard fan,
but I enjoy using it & it has proved an invaluable resource many many
times.  In the wider public, it is viewed as a respectable & accurate
encyclopedia, with some issues directly related to the fact that anyone
can edit it.
Mr Sanger-I feel I am very neutral in this debate, having no real
opinion, I also don't really care who "wins", because that's what it is
all about.  I just think this is a stupid thing to keep going on at, all
replies so far have agreed with you that Jimmy did wrong & should
probably apologise or set the record straight.  Your constant gibes at
Wikipedia serve no purpose except to turn many neutral editors who are
here & would probably be happy to help get a NPOV, against you.
Please stop this pointless, yes I'll say it again, pointless, business
for the good of everyone.

Phew, let that off, apologise if I offended anyone, just want to stop
this rubbish.