[WikiEN-l] An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 9 18:12:07 UTC 2009

Larry Sanger wrote:
> Charles Matthews wrote:
>> One thing about history and Wikipedia, is that we are supposed to let
>> historians write it. Really, if you are asking me personally
>> to choose
>> between your version of history, and what you say is Jimbo's, I would
>> prefer a third-party, dispassionate account.
>>

> I am not asking you to choose "versions of history," I am asking you to
> acknowledge that Jimmy Wales has self-servingly denied, distorted, or
> ignored provable facts that ought to be acknowledged on *anybody's* version
> of history.

Distinction without a difference?

Seems to me you are letting off a fair amount of steam here.  That is a
traditional role of mailing lists, and in particular of wikien.  Your
unsubtle flaming of Jimmy here isn't likely to change too many minds;
which is more than can be said for some of your past and more insidious
comments on Wikipedia, in more prominent places.  So go ahead, if it
lances the boil.

Charles