[WikiEN-l] An open letter to Jimmy Wales

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 9 17:31:47 UTC 2009

geni wrote:
> 2009/4/9 Sam Korn <smoddy at gmail.com>:
>> Perhaps you can explain what the world at large, the Wikipedia
>> community and I personally gain from publicly pursuing it.
>
> It has in the past caused problems with our [[Wikipedia]] article and
> Jimbo's past attempts to distort the record did cause unnecessary
> conflict within wikipedia.

In summation: Larry says Jimmy is a self-serving liar, and presents
(IMO) compelling evidence of the same.

The question then is:
1) Does Wikipedia/WMF care? and
2) Should Wikipedia/WMF care?

Well, perhaps not:

*unless its articles reflect something other than reality. (We are
committed to NPOV)

*or unless Jimmy were abusing his position within WMF and the community
to push his POV, or distort Wikipedia for his own benefit. (If the
leader/exemplar were engaging in POV-pushing and COI meet puppetry, that
should concern us!)

Is he?

I don't know.

Are these IRC transcripts accurate? The source is questionable, but as a
minor participant in one of the discussions, it does seem to tally with
my (admittedly fuzzy) memories.

http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Jimbo_Fired_Up

http://www.wikitruth.info/index.php?title=Jimbo_Found_Out