[WikiEN-l] NPOV is a big lie

Tris Thomas Tris at waterhay.co.uk
Thu Apr 9 10:27:04 UTC 2009

I agree that in many instances, there can be a bitter editing war that
doesn't necessarily end up with a NPOV being selected, but in my view,
most of the time, patience & persistence win, leading to most articles
being relatively neutral.  By no means would I say it was perfect &
there are probably things that can be done to improve it, but on the
whole it is one of Wikipedia's greatest strengths; not least because to
the general public who are not editors or administrators or who do not
participate in editing, Wikipedia is seen as a neutral, independent
source of fact.  Sure, there are certain areas that need improvement,
but once the wider Wikipedia community is brought in, as they have now
been, thanks to your highlighting of the problems with Alan Cabal, calm
& common sense tend to prevail.
I disagree with your statement

"One of the biggest lies being spouted at Wikipedia is the one about how there is generally a NPOV"

because I believe *generally* there is a NPOV, with problems arising in
certain instances.