[WikiEN-l] Jimbo interview

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 11:58:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/5 Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com>:
>
>> I think it's very clear that wikipedia has developed a very successful
>> model, not least because many other wikis seem to almost automatically
>> adopt our style and policies. In short: Wikipedia Works.
>

> NPOV is our key innovation. Much more radical than letting anyone edit
> the website.

I agree.  The only way a wiki that says "anyone can edit" can work is
with NPOV.  You can either enforce a POV by banning people who don't
share your point of view, or you can explicitly endorse *no-one's*
point of view.

(Similarly, NPOV would be extremely difficult to manage with a small
base of users as discussion (and, to some extent, conflict) is
essential.)

--
Sam
PGP public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Korn/public_key