[WikiEN-l] Saying no to new unreferenced BLPs

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 4 21:39:35 UTC 2009

phoebe ayers wrote:
> I am all in favor of seeing if we can change people's behavior in
> subtle ways; it will take many solutions all working together to fix
> blp's.
>
> -- phoebe

A very simple and non-controversial start might be to ask New Page
patrolers, when they see a new unsourced BLP (or indeed any unsourced
article) to put a polite message on the creator's talk page saying

"Thanks for your article [XYZ]. Wikipedia asks that all material be
verifiable from reliable sources, it is important that readers and other
users can check what's been writen. You don't seem to have told us the
source you used for this article. Please can you edit the article to
indicate what the source is? (Click here for help if you don't know
how.) Unsourced material about living people may be removed if challenged."

That doesn't bite or threaten any newbies, although if established
editors keep getting these on their talk pages, threats might be warranted.